Sukanya Samriddhi Account Yojana is one of the best Investment option for Girl Child. Sukanya Samriddhi scheme is predominantly launched as a part of “Beti Bachao Beti Padhao campaign” by the government of India.
Sukanya Samriddhi Account – Saving Scheme for Girl Child
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account can be opened at Post office or at designated bank branches.
- This account can be opened for girl child on her name by her parents.
- The age of the girl at the time of opening account should not be more than 10 years.
- For the current financial year government has declared 7.6 interest (FY 2021-22) on this scheme.
- Investment in this scheme will also give income tax benefit under section 80C.
- Minimum deposit amount under this scheme is 1000 Rs/- and maximum is 1.5 Lac per annum.
- Money must be deposited for 14 years.
- The maturity of the account is 21 years from the date of opening of the account or as girl child gets married whichever is earlier.
- Although money deposit is not require from 14 years onwards government shall pay interest on this scheme up to 21 years (maturity).
- 50% withdrawal is allowed for the higher study of girl child after 18 years of age.
If you are looking for good returns with zero risk “Sukanya Samriddhi Account” is for you. This scheme offers tax-free maturity returns.
Sukanya Samriddhi Account – Calculator
Sukanya Samriddhi account can help you to create a big corpus for your girl child, which can be helpful for her education or marriage. Let us see what returns this scheme will actually offer to investors.
Monthly Investment – 12,500 Rs/-
Rate of Interest – 9.2%
Investment Period – 14 years
Maturity Amount – 76.97 Lac
Download Excel Calculator – Fixed – Version 1
Sukanya Samriddhi Scheme Calculator – Variable – Version 2
Also Read – 7 Shortcomings of Sukanya Samriddhi Account
Yearly Investment lump sum – 1.5 Lac (Starting of year)
Rate of Interest – 9.2%
Investment Period – 14 years
Maturity Amount – 80.06 Lac
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account is opened on the birth of girl child. Age -1 Year.
- Interest rate remains constant for 21 years i.e -9.2%
- Yearly contribution is made at the beginning of the financial year in the month of April every year.
- No withdrawal is made from Sukanya Samriddhi Account throughout 21 years
- It is not mandatory to contribute fix amount in this account, although for illustration fixed contribution is taken
You can download this calculator from here.
New Calculator for Sukanya Samriddhi Account is added based on the request of readers. Features of New Calculator is given below.
- Option to select Interest rate every year.
- Option to input investment amount for every month or every year.
As the interest rates will change every year provision is made in New Calculator to specify interest rate every year. This New calculator will give exact information about maturity value of Sukanya Samriddhi Account.
Who can open this account?
Sukanya Samriddhi Account can be opened by parents or legal guardian of girl child up to 10 years of age. You can open this account if your daughter is born on or after December, 2, 2003.
Documents required for Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Birth certificate of girl child
- Address proof
- Identity proof, Residence proof
- Two photographs of legal guardian
NRI Can open this account?
It is not clear that NRI (Non-Resident Indians) are allowed to invest in this scheme or not. However as NRI’s are not allowed invest in any small saving schemes of post for this scheme also it will not be allowed. I will update this post as soon as I get information about this.
Online Money Deposit in Sukanya Samriddhi Account is allowed?
Facility of Online money deposit is not available in Sukanya Samriddhi Account.You need to deposit money either by cheque, cash or by demand draft.
Note :- Recently interest rate applicable on Sukanya Samriddhi Account is revised by the government. The new interest rate on SSA will be 8.6 %(For FY 2016-17 – First Quarter).
To download Sukanya Samriddhi Account application from CLICK HERE
Where to Open Sukanya Samriddhi Account?
This account can be opened at the post office or other authorized banks.RBI released circular authorizing 28 banks to open SSA. You can open SSA account in to bank which are authorized to open PPF account. List of Bank authorized to Open Sukanya Samriddhi Account is given below.
- State Bank of India
- State Bank of Patiala
- State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur
- State Bank of Travancore
- State Bank of Hyderabad
- State Bank of Mysore
- Andhra Bank
- Allahabad Bank
- Bank of Baroda
- Bank of India
- Punjab & Sind Bank
- Bank of Maharashtra
- Canara Bank
- Central Bank of India
- Corporation Bank
- Dena Bank
- Indian Bank
- Indian Overseas Bank
- Punjab National Bank
- Syndicate Bank
- UCO Bank
- Oriental Bank of Commerce
- Union Bank of India
- United Bank of India
- Vijaya Bank
- Axis Bank Ltd.
- ICICI Bank Ltd.
- IDBI Bank Ltd.
Difference between Sukanya Samriddhi Account, Public Provident Fund and Fixed Deposit
|Sukanya Samriddhi Account (SSA)||Public Provident Fund (PPF)||Fixed Deposit (FD)|
|For||For Girl Child Indian Citizen||For Individual Indian Citizen||For Individual Indian Citizen|
|Age Limit||From Birth Up to 10 Years||No age limit.||No age limit.|
|Where to open||Post office and Authorized Banks||Post office and Authorized Banks||All Banks|
|Number of Account||One Account per Girl Child||Each Individual can hold only one account in his name.||No limit.|
|Maximum Contribution||Rs.1.5 lakhs in all accounts.||Rs.1.5 lakhs in all accounts.||No limit.|
|Interest Rates||8.60% for fiscal year 2016-17.(First Quarter)||8.10% per annum for fiscal year 2016-17.(First Quarter)||7.25% to 9%|
|Tax Benefit on the Contribution||Contributed Amount will be deductible u/s 80C.||Contributed Amount will be deductible u/s 80C.||No Tax Benefit|
|Tax Benefit on the interest earned||Tax Free||Tax Free||No Tax Benefit|
|Time Period of contribution||14 Years from date of opening account||Minimum 15 years and then in blocks of 5 years.||One Time|
|Maturity||21 years from the date of opening of account.||15 years from the fiscal year of opening of account.||Investor Defined at the time of Investment|
|Penalty||Rs.50 per year if minimum contribution is not made.||Rs.50 per year if minimum contribution is not made.||NA|
|Mode of Deposit||Cash or Demand Draft or Cheque||Cash or Demand Draft or Cheque||Cash or Demand Draft or Cheque|
|Premature Withdrawal||Allowed up to 50% for the girl’s higher education and marriage after she attains 18 years of age||No premature withdrawal allowed except in case of death of Investor||Premature Withdrawal allowed – Penalty may be applicable|
|Loan||No loan can be taken on the SSA balance.||Loan can be taken from the third year of opening of account to the sixth year.||Loan can be taken|
|Taxation on Maturity||No Tax||No Tax||Tax as per applicable Slab|
|Calculator||SSA Calculator||PPF Calculator||–|
From above comparison, we can clearly say that Sukanya Samriddhi Account and PPF is one of the Best Investment Option for Indians.
Hope you like this post and you will open Sukanay Samriddhi Account.
As this is a Government of India scheme, you are advised to visit www.nsiindia.gov.in for latest information and updates.