Google Alerts is a simple way to stay updated with latest information and news. You must be thinking how it is related to the stock market. Let me explain, in a recent scenario it has become important for the investor to stay updated with the latest information about stocks which they own. A right information at right time can save them from big losses. We have seen various incidents where stock stumbled due to negative news. The latest example is Punjab National Bank. Where stock tumbled more than 50% due to negative news of fraud.
A traditional way of monitoring stock is via stock broker website, news channel, newspaper or TV. For popular stocks news are available instantaneously in social media or business portal. However, for less popular stocks it is generally seen that it takes time to get news/information. A solution for tracking such stock is Google Alerts.
I personally use Google Alert to monitor the latest information about stocks. It keeps me informed about the news related to all stocks that I own. I have created an additional email address where all Google alerts are sent. I have configured this email on my smartphone. So, I never miss any news.
In this post, I will explain How to use Google Alerts for monitoring stock information?
Why Google Alerts?
The advantages of using Google Alerts are given below.
- It is a free tool. You can configure this tool as per your requirement.
- You need not search web of financial websites about important news related to your stocks, google alerts deliver all news to your email.
- If you missed any news on financial website or web, it is difficult to track it. In google alert, you can easily search it from email archive.
How to use Google Alerts for Monitoring Stock Information?
- In order to use Google Alerts, you need to go to http://www.google.com/alerts and log in using your google account. If you don’t have google ID yet, you need to create one for using this services.
- Enter the name of stock for which you want to create an alert.
- Click on the ‘Show Options’. If you want instant alert select the ‘as it happens’ option. If you select this option you are likely to get so many alerts in your mailbox. Other alternatives are once a day or once a week.
- Once you are done with the selection of frequency next is source. Google gives the flexibility to select multiple sources like blog, news, web, video, books etc. If you are not sure select “Automatic” option.
- Next is a selection of Language, Region and How many news. You can select only best results or all results.
- Enter your email id or select RSS feed where you want this news to be delivered.
Also Read – Virtual Trading Apps for Stock Market Trading
Repeat the similar exercise for the Stocks you are interested in. Google will start sending notification in your mailbox.
I hope this simple trick will help you to get required news about your stock in a timely manner.
Do share your views about this tool in the comment section.