Aadhaar Virtual ID is an alternative to Aadhaar Number. It is a 16-digit code generated against Aadhaar Number. It is also known as VID. You must be thinking that what is a need of generating Aadhaar Virtual ID? Well, there are numbers of cases where claims of Aadhaar data leakage is made. The leaked Aadhaar data can be misused in doing fraud transactions. In order to prevent that UIDAI has launched facility of virtual ID. It is advisable to share VID instead of Aadhaar Number. Agencies can perform Aadhaar authentication by using VID without retrieval of Aadhaar number. This eliminates the need for sharing Aadhaar number and thus Aadhaar information will remain safe from being hacked.
After taking a look at the need of generating Aadhaar Virtual ID. Let’s take a look at key features benefits and process of generating Aadhaar Virtual ID.
Key Features of Aadhaar Virtual ID
- The virtual ID is a temporary 16-digit code that replaces Aadhaar for authentication.
- Only one virtual ID shall be issued at a time. Once you create new VID, the old one will be flushed out.
- Although VID is linked with Aadhaar, one cannot retrieve Aadhaar Number using virtual ID.
- It is not mandatory to generate Aadhaar VID. One can use Aadhaar Number also.
- The generated VID will be sent to the registered mobile number.
- Consent of user is required for authentication using VID.
- Agency is not authorized to store VID or any other information about Aadhaar.
- One can generate virtual ID number of times, there is no restriction.
Benefits of Aadhaar Virtual ID
- Access to only required data which is essential for authentication.
- Peace of mind that Aadhaar data is secured.
- It is easy to generate Virtual ID from UIDAI website. It can be generated anytime, anywhere.
- Once new ID is generated old ID is flushed out.
- It makes the work a little simpler for the organizations for the KYC purpose.
Also Read – How to Link Aadhaar with Mutual Funds Online?
How to generate Aadhaar Virtual ID?
The process of generating Virtual ID is very simple. It can be generated anytime by visiting UIDAI website. In order to use this facility, you need to link your Mobile number with Aadhaar. If you have not linked your Mobile with Aadhaar you will not able to use this facility. Virtual ID generated from UIDAI website will be sent to registered mobile number as SMS.
The process for generating and retrieving a virtual ID is same. To generate the Aadhaar virtual ID, you can follow steps given below.
Step 1 – Visit UIDIA website at https://uidia.gov.in
Step 2 – Click on Virtual ID (VID) generator link available under Aadhaar Services.
Step 3 – You will be taken to new VID generation page.
Step 4 – Enter 12 Digit Aadhaar Number and security code.
Step 5 – Click on Send OTP button.
Step 6 – An OTP will be sent to your mobile number registered with Aadhaar Number.
Step 7 – Enter OTP and select option “Generate VID” or “Retrieve VID”. After selecting option click on submit button. A success message will be displayed on screen about the generation of VID.
Step 8 – You will get SMS on your registered mobile number mentioning 16-digit Virtual ID along with last four digits of Aadhaar.
It is wonderful facility launched by UIDIA to eliminate sharing of Aadhaar. VID will surely help in securing Aadhaar data. It is highly recommended to use this facility.
Please feel free to share your recommendation and experience in the comment section.