Inflation is increasing more and more as time passes. In this age, having a single source of income can be risky since it can stop generating revenue anytime. Therefore, experts recommend that you have multiple sources of income in order to stay afloat when the need arises.
Generating income from multiple sources has become comparatively easier nowadays than 20 years ago. Many people start a variety of side hustles along with their jobs to generate more income. If you’re struggling to find a side hustle that can increase your revenue, then we recommend you start affiliate marketing, as it’s one of the easiest and most revenue-generating ones.
Starting it might be a hard nut to crack, but once you get the hang of it, you’ll know exactly what to do. To make things easier for you, we are here to guide you through the process. So keep reading as we’ll explain how you can start your own affiliate marketing campaign. But before we get into that, let us tell you what affiliate marketing really is.
What is Affiliate Marketing?
Affiliate marketing can be defined as a type of business where you promote the products or services of a website and receive a commission from them. It’s a win-win situation for both the affiliates and the websites since affiliates are receiving money to increase their revenue and the website is increasing its reach through affiliate marketing.
Now that you know what affiliate marketing exactly is, let us guide you through the process of starting it.
Starting Affiliate Marketing – Step-by-step
1. Decide Your Target Niche
The first step that you’re going to want to take is to decide on a target audience or market in which you’ll promote the product or service. For example, the fashion niche will include products like clothes, sweaters, and sneakers. The people looking for these things will, in turn, be your target audience.
Targeting a particular niche helps affiliates tailor their promotional content and messages in a way that they become engaging to the readers. It is also more effective than targeting an entire industry of things.
Besides this, it can also reduce the responsibility of the affiliates as they won’t have to explain the advantages and value propositions of the products since the customer will already be familiar with the niche.
Here are some tips to help you get started with picking the niche that’s best for you.
- Consider your interest and passion: Picking a niche and choosing products that you’re familiar with and are passionate about can help you come up with better marketing content since you would’ve used that thing yourself. It can also make this process more enjoyable and fun.
- Take a look at your competitors: By taking a look and analyzing your competitors, you can determine how difficult it is to succeed in a niche. It might be highly competitive. So, you’ll need to highlight a unique selling point that no one else has talked about.
- Analyze the demand in the market: By taking a look at the demand of a niche, you can figure out whether it’s profitable or not. If people aren’t even interested in it, what good will it get you, right? You can do a quick research for it on Google Trends.
2. Create a Website for Affiliate Marketing
After you’ve decided what niche you’re going to start affiliate marketing in. It is time to build a platform for it. Sure, you can work on someone else’s platform, but we recommend that you create your own website since you can get the most out of it according to your preferences.
Having your own website can act as a central hub for all your affiliated products and content. This can give you way more opportunities to highlight the promotional material that you want. Besides, you’ll be the one in control of the website, which gives you a lot of freedom in itself.
These web hosting services can do everything for you. From creating a website for you according to your liking to maintaining it for you. These services can also make your website more accessible to users on the internet.
3. Partner with Affiliate Programs
Once everything we’ve mentioned above is done, you should look to sign up for an affiliate marketing program that is relevant to your niche. For that, you have to research and find brands within your niche and see if they offer affiliate programs that you can join.
For example, Amazon offers an affiliate program for people who are looking to join. They provide you with the link, and all you have to do is make a sale using those links. This way, Amazon’s sales increase, and you get to keep the commission.
Here are some of the things that you should consider when choosing an affiliate program.
- Affiliation link validity period: Every affiliation link that a brand gives you has a tracking ID. This ID expires after a certain period. A shorter link validity can help you gain more commission, but having a longer link validity can give you more time to convince your audience to become converters.
- Structure of the commission: Different affiliation programs offer different commission structures. You should take them in as a factor when selecting which program you want to sign up for. Commission structures of affiliate programs are categorized as low commission with high volume, high commission with low volume, and high commission with high volume. Besides this, subscription-based businesses also offer recurring commissions.
- Reputation of the brand and its alignment: When partnering with a brand for its affiliation program, you should make sure that it’s reliable. Partnering with unreliable brands can hurt your credibility in the long run. Check out online reviews, discussions, and forums where people discuss these types of things to figure out if a brand is reliable or not.
4. Pick an Affiliate Product Related to the Niche You Chose
After you’ve selected the niche for affiliate marketing, made a website for it, and partnered with an affiliation program. It is time to select a product that you’ll be getting a commission out of selling. It is essential that you choose a product that is relevant to the niche you selected because focusing on products from a single niche has a higher chance of generating more revenue. You can’t market automotive accessories on a website made for the marketing of the fashion niche.
Besides this, you should choose a product that is high in demand. This will generate your credibility, and your website will appear in front of more people when they look to purchase that particular product. By choosing a highly demanded product and delivering it, you’ll convince the users to come back to your site if they’re ever looking to purchase other products related to your niche.
Another thing that you must keep in mind while choosing a product is to look for one that has a high commission rate. This means that you’ll be receiving a higher percentage of commission from the sales price every time someone makes a purchase from your affiliate link.
The product you’re choosing should also be from a reputable company. This is essential because you don’t want to promote products that are not of high quality or that may never even get delivered to the customer. Reputable companies also provide a good return policy, which can protect the customers if they don’t like the product that they purchased.
5. Create High-Quality Content for your Product
Creating poor content for your website and affiliate product will massively decrease the chances of converting your audience into customers. The key to success in affiliate marketing is to produce content that captures the attention of the audience and convinces them to purchase the product from your link. This content can be for your website or for blog posts.
The content you create for your affiliate marketing campaign should be:
- Unique and original
- Free from plagiarism
- Readable and easy to understand
However, achieving these qualities in a piece of content can be difficult as it requires you to be a really good writer.
Besides this, it can take much of your time and effort. Affiliate marketers might not have much time on their hands as they have to make deals with affiliate programs and choose new products. Fortunately, there’s a remedy available for it.
There are many text rewriting tools like Articlerewriter.net available on the internet that can automatically rewrite the given content to ensure that it is unique and plagiarism-free. In other words, if you suspect that your content resembles any existing stuff on the net, you can rewrite it. You can also run your content through one of these tools to increase its quality in terms of flow and readability—saving you both time and effort.
Some of the most common types of content that people create for their affiliate marketing sites are as follows.
- Reviews of your product: Showing the reviews of the affiliated product is the most used content type that is used by marketers on their website. This is because most people check the reviews of the product before purchasing it. You can add this to your product description for higher conversion chances.
- Comparison of the product with others: Comparing the product to others can help the potential customers decide which one is better. Affiliate marketers use this to their advantage and convince the reader that the product they’re selling is superior to others.
- Tutorial for using the product: This type of content is important to tell the customer what the product can do for them. If you explain step by step how it works, they are more likely to purchase it since they will see the potential.
6. Add Affiliate links to your Content
Now that you’ve created high-quality content for your affiliated product, it is time to add the affiliation link of the product to it. This link will be provided to you by the brand and will also include the ID that we talked about earlier.
Every time someone purchases the product from your link, you will receive the commission that was fixed before making the deal. Many affiliate programs also ask you to generate a certain amount of sales before you can receive the commission. Therefore, it is important that you adjust the links to the most optimal places. This way, the chances of your audience clicking on it will increase.
For your understanding, here are some of the most optimal places to add the affiliate link to your product.
- Within blog content: The most common place to add affiliate links is this one. This is because users usually look for answers and products by reading about them on the internet. A blog post might contain a product review, comparison, and tutorials. This is where the affiliation link is the most effective in generating sales.
- In the resource section: If you’ve made a website with a dedicated resource section, you can add the link to relevant places there. This can make it easier for the reader to find all your links in a single place (if you have multiple). Doing this can also help avoid overwhelming the reader with too many links in a single blog post.
- The end of a blog post: Many people usually skim through the blogs online to find out the most important information. Doing this, they land at the end of the post pretty quickly. If you put the link in the conclusion of the post, there are chances that the reader might get convinced by what’s written in the post and click on the link available at the end of it.
7. Promote the Content that Contains Your Affiliate Link
You’re all set to start your affiliate marketing campaign. The only thing that remains is to start promoting it so it can drive in customers. Promoting the content that contains your affiliate link can be of huge help in generating more revenue. It is essential to generate leads, attract customers, and boost your conversion rates.
Besides this, you must also have an SEO strategy since SEO is one of the most important things that get your content ranked in search engines. Once your content is ranked, there are chances that you might see increased traffic on your site and increased sales of the product you’re promoting.
SEO strategies include optimizing your content with keywords, link building, making your site mobile-friendly, and ensuring that it loads quickly so the audience doesn’t have to wait too long. Doing all this falls under the process of promoting your content. There are also a few other methods of doing it, which we are going to mention below.
- Promote content with an Email Campaign: There might be many potential customers who don’t surf the internet as often as youngsters. Email marketing helps in letting those people know about your affiliated product and the benefits they can get if they purchase it. You can give them product recommendations and product updates and offer them amazing deals by sending them an email newsletter.
- Start a campaign on social media: Starting a social media campaign can increase your brand awareness. Many of the youngsters can be seen using social media more than surfing the web. Therefore, by promoting your content on social media, you can potentially drive many of them to buy your affiliated product. For that, you can add hashtags to your campaign to boost its discoverability.
- Be active in online forums: There are many online forums like Reddit and Quora where people discuss various things, problems, and their solutions. Participating in these discussions can be a good way to make a connection with your target audience.
Affiliate marketing can be a great side hustle for people who are looking to increase their revenue. In this article, we have explained how you can start affiliate marketing in a step-by-step manner.