The IRDAI (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India) has issued a mandate that both new and existing health insurance policyholders are required to get a unique Ayushman Bharat Health Account (ABHA) ID.
ABHA ID is a unique 14-digit ID for all individuals residing in India. The main objective behind this step is to digitize the health care records of individuals. A key advantage of the ABHA ID is that it allows people to digitally authenticate, access, and manage their healthcare information, which can make scheduling hospital and doctor appointments a quick and easy process. Now onwards as an individual, you require ABHA ID to buy or renew your health insurance policy. Here is important information about ABHA ID and the Steps to create it.
What is ABHA Number & ABHA Address?
ABHA number is a 14-digit number or ID that will uniquely identify you as a participant in India’s digital healthcare ecosystem. ABHA number will establish a strong and trustable identity for you that will be accepted by healthcare providers and payers across the country.
ABHA (Ayushman Bharat Health Account) Address is a unique identifier (self-declared username) that enables you to share and access your health records digitally. Your ABHA address may look like ‘yourname@consent manager’.For instance, xyz@abdm is an ABHA address with ABDM Consent Manager that will facilitate health data exchange for you with appropriate consent on the ABDM network.
Benefits of ABHA
- ABHA ID establishes a unique identity across different healthcare providers within the healthcare ecosystem.
- You can link all healthcare benefits ranging from public health programs to insurance schemes to your unique ABHA number.
- It gives hassle-free access. You can avoid long lines for registration in healthcare facilities across the country.
- You can seamlessly sign up for PHR (Personal Health Records) applications such as ABDM ABHA application for Health data sharing.
- You can create your centralized health database.
How to create ABHA ID/Number?
You require either your Aadhaar or Driving license to create your ABHA Number. Follow the steps given below to create your ABHA Number/ID.
- Visit the website – https://healthid.ndhm.gov.in/
- Click on the button Create ABHA Number. You will be prompted with the option to register using either your Aadhaar or using your driving license.
- Select the appropriate option. In case you select the Aaadhar card method make sure that your Aadhaar is linked to your mobile number. If you use a driving license you will get an Enrolment Number which you need to carry at the nearest ABDM Facility to get ID.
- For the Aadhaar option, enter your Aadhaar Number answer the captcha, and press the next button.
- Six-digit OTP will be generated and sent to your Aadhar-linked mobile number.
- On submitting OTP after the authentication check, you will be asked to check your profile. Where data such as your name and address would be fetched from Aadhaar. You can see it on the screen.
- The next step is to enter your mobile number & E-mail address. On entering these details OTP would be sent to the e-mail id for e-mail ID verification.
- On email id verification your ABHA ID will be created and displayed on the screen.
- The next step is to create easy to remember ABHA address. ABHA address creation option will be displayed on the screen. You can create your ABHA address and link it with your ABHA Number.
After successfully creating an ABHA account, you can use this ID to purchase a new policy or present it to your insurer at the time of renewal. There are no eligibility requirements for obtaining an ABHA ID.
Once your ABHA ID is created you can log in and download your ABHA number Card from the portal. This card contains your information along with QR code. This facility also allows you to edit your e-mail address and mobile number details.
In order to keep track of health-related information about people, ABHA IDs will be used. If you have an ABHA ID, you won’t have to register at hospitals before receiving treatment. This will expedite the hospitalization and claims processes. Through the ABHA ID, insureds can be digitally identified and healthcare and insurance would be delivered seamlessly. A paperless and secure system would also enable insurers to access medical records securely and quickly while speeding up the process of submitting claims for individuals.
The electronic medical records generated by healthcare providers are stored in their own systems in accordance with legal requirements. After the patient’s agreement, ABDM only permits secure data exchange between the intended stakeholders on the ABDM network. It will allow insurers to efficiently access policyholders’ comprehensive medical information. As a result, assist them with prompt claims service, and policyholders will not suffer claim rejection during hospitalization due to medical differences.
In my opinion, it is a very good initiative by the government that will help in creating India’s Digital Health Ecosystem.