Today is dhanteras and you must be planning to buy Gold. Well, this dhanteras is somewhat special as you have option to buy gold in paper form also. Yes, I am talking about Gold Schemes which are launched recently by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Name of this schemes are (1) Gold Monetisation Scheme (2) Sovereign Gold Bonds and (3) Indian Gold Coin scheme.
Gold Monetisation Scheme
Gold Monetisation scheme is also known as GMS. GMS allows an individual to deposit the gold with the bank. Bank will be paying interest on the deposited gold. This is very good way to convert unproductive asset gold in to production asset.
Details about Gold Monetisation Scheme
Sovereign Gold Bonds Scheme
The Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme is also known as SGBS. Under SGBS, gold bond will be issued to investors in paper or demat form. The return on these gold bonds will be directly linked to gold price.
Details about Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme
Indian Gold Coin Scheme
As a part of Gold scheme new gold coin with National Emblem of Ashok Chakra on one side and Mahatama Gandhi on another side will be available to Investor. This gold coin will be available in 5 gm and 10 gm denomination. These coins will be distributed through designated and recognized MMTC outlets.
Details about Indian Gold Coin Scheme
Before making an investment in these schemes let’s compare features of these schemes.
Gold Schemes by Government – Good for Investment?
Recent Gold Scheme launched by the government of India is a welcome step. This scheme will be defiantly beneficial to the investor as well as economy of country.
Investor Benefits of Gold Schemes –
- Gold will become a productive asset as it will generate interest up to 2.75%.
- Gold scheme will be an additional alternative to purchase gold.
- The Investor need not to worry about purity of Gold
- The Investor need not to worry about physical security and storage of gold.
- Tax Benefits applicable to gold monetisation scheme.
- An investor can convert gold into cash using this channel.
Benefits to Government and Economy –
- Gold import is expected to reduce. Foreign currency reserve will be saved. It will boost the economy.
- The banks will be able to raise loan using this gold as a security in the foreign market.
- This gold can be sold to generate foreign currency and it will increase foreign reserve.
Gold Monetisation and Sovereign Gold Bonds Scheme are good scheme for investment and defiantly help investors. However, your portfolio should not exceed 10% of the gold investment. If you have already invested 10% in gold you should not buy gold.